Friday, September 23, 2011

You Are My Flower

  I still can't quite grasp that I am playing the role of Maybelle Carter in the Mill's production of Keep on the Sunny Side. She and her guitar playing are legendary. Her style is the basis for the modern country music guitar sound. No pressure, right?!
For whatever odd reason, I have always had an affinity for Johnny Cash and June Carter (before it was cool). I knew of June's mother, "Mother Maybelle," but had no idea of the magnitude of the Carter family's influence on country music, and music in general. The more I learn about A.P., Sara and Maybelle, it becomes even more humbling to play the role of this amazing woman. I am grateful to Tom Width and Drew Perkins for having the confidence that I could do the part justice. The callouses on my fingers attest to my desire to convey an accurate portrayal, and while I have a long way to go to attain the virtuosity of Maybelle Carter, I have learned to play several songs in her style, which is another challenge unto itself.

Our very talented cast (Drew Perkins as A.P., Jackie Frost as Sara, Ali Thibodeau as Janette, and David Janeski and Lucas Hall in multiple roles) had a great opening weekend and I hope the success continues. Janette Carter's daughter Rita Forrester came from Hiltons, VA to see the performance on Saturday night. What a wonderfully kind and gracious woman. It was an honor to meet her. My parents, Wes and Janette (same spelling, no relation!), were also in the audience for all three performances Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. It was a treat to have them here.
I think "You Are My Flower" is my favorite song in the show. It's part of a 3-song medley, so we only perform a section of it. It was one of the most difficult guitar parts for me to learn musically, but that's probably why I like it so much now, and also why I find it so gratifying to play.
I love this video of Sara and Maybelle from the Johnny Cash Show. They are both very stately and stoic women (Sara sings "wear a happy smile" and "don't forget to smile" with a completely straight face); but toward the end, we catch a glimpse of the sparkle in Maybelle -- she is truly enjoying herself, but with her typical humility and humbleness. This is probably one of many reasons why she was -- and is -- so well-loved by so many, including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment