Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Salvia verticillata ‘Alba’

Salvia verticillata ‘Alba’


Craig wrote:
  •   Soft hairy leaves with pure white flowers. Floppy growth habit, This works in its favor because by the time its first flush of bloom is over the plants have opened up and exposed the center so a new round of growth is maturing and close to flowering. Untidy and unruly, my kind of plant.

I need to find a plant that this can weave through. According to the Missouri Botanical Garden, this member of the sage family thrives in full sun–which it’s not getting–and is killed by wet soils, which may mean I will lose it next mud season. I have it growing near my purple smokebush, which is notorious for sucking the soil dry, but the smokebush is late to break dormancy. I may need to move this to the southern side of a lilac, which wakes up sooner in the spring, and thus starts pulling moisture out of the surrounding area that much sooner as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment